IOL brings you daily and weekly news from South Africa’s leading news publications. Begin your My.Independent experience with a 2 week free trial to access all titles. Some of the great titles you will find inside: Cape Times, Cape Argus, The Star, Daily News, Pretoria News, The Sunday Independent, Sunday Tribune, DFA, POST, Daily Voice, The Mercury, Isolezwe, and many more.
Access news from over 20 titles and stay informed with in-depth quality reportage from the country’s top journalists. IOL will keep you connected to the latest local and international content wherever you are.
The App is free to download and a monthly subscription can be purchased for R24,99 inc VAT on Android or this website, or R37.99 on the Apple Store. This subscription will auto-renew until you choose to cancel. We are continuously working to improve your reading experience so let us know by posting a review.
- Your subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period
- You cannot cancel the current subscription during the active subscription period.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited if you purchase a subscription.
Why should I subscribe to the IOL edition service?
When you subscribe to the IOL digital edition news service you gain access to all Independent Newspaper groups’ daily and weekly traditional newspaper titles in digital format. Independent Newspapers prides itself on age old traditional reporting principles of which quality and localisation is applied. Enjoy being informed about regional and national news from a single app digital service.
How do I download and install My.Independent app?
How do I subscribe to IOL edition services within app?
- From within each of the apps (Apple or Android) there is a Subscribe facility.
- Alternatively we recommend subscribing via the online web subscription service.
- No matter where you subscribe you will be able to access your subscribed to content across all compatible platforms should you choose to utilise Facebook authentication.
What is a my IOL app login?
We provide simple login/register facility using your Facebook accounts or Google+ (on Android only at the moment). We want it to be simple and easy to use, where you won’t need to remember yet another password to gain access to your subscribed-to-content.
Can I use the same IOL account on both an Android and iPad device?
Yes only if you chose to originally signup with your Facebook account. Unfortunately Apple rejected our Google+ user authentication mechanism and so can’t offer this facility to you yet. We are working on alternative mechanisms and will be sure to communicate these with you in the near future.
What is the minimum period I can subscribe for?
The minimum subscription term is one month recurring until cancelled by yourself via the appropriate channels (Apple, Android and / or our call center)
How much does IOL edition services cost?
IOL breaking news is free, and will always be free – download today and use it for your quick news source.
Should you want to receive digital versions of all the traditional newspapers, you can subscribe to the “editions” section of the app. All new readers receive a 2 week free trial period – that 2 weeks of all your favorite Newspaper titles for free. Thereafter access to your digital titles is managed through your purchased digital subscription.
What are the payment options for IOL’s edition services?
We want to reiterate that IOL breaking news is FREE, it’s access to the daily or weekly newspaper editions digitally is what has a subscription fee.
Subscriptions can be paid via the website www.myindependent.co.za, Apple iTunes, Android payment gateway utilising credit card of choice be it Visa, Mastercard. We are looking into alternative options such as direct debit, and will be sure to communicate this once in place.
How long does the free trial last?
As you install IOL on your device and begin using it – you will qualify for an initial 14 days of free trial.
How do I get my free trial?
Getting your free trial is easy. Simply go to Google Play Store or the App Store (depending on your preferred device), search and Install the My.Independent app. As soon as you begin using the app you will qualify for 14 days of free trial, should you login using your Facebook account you will qualify for an additional 14 days of free trial. After this period has expired, you will need to subscribe to receive additional digital content.
How do I extend my subscription?
Your subscription will automatically be renewed, so you will need to call in if you wish to cancel it.
How do I cancel my subscription?
- It depends where you initiated your subscription, which would have either been via iTunes (Apple Apps), Android, Online web.
- Please log a request on contact form of www.myindependent.co.za
- Providing your Google+ email or Facebook account details
I’ve had a free trial; can I sign up for another one?
No, the free trial is limited to one device and also per social account. Am I signed up to a subscription automatically after my free trial? No you are definitely not signed up automatically after your free trial has expired, but we do hope our bargain subscription price and the experience you’ve enjoyed during the free trial period will show you what a great benefit My.Independent is – and you’ll purchase a subscription happily. Do I need to have anything specific downloaded, or any specific operating systems?
- IOL App for iPad
- You will need iOS version 7.0 and above to use the iPad app. To update your software to this version, sync your iPad to iTunes on your computer and click ‘Download and Update’ when prompted.
- IOL App for iPhone
- IOL for iPhone works on any iPhone or iPod Touch with operating system version 7.0 or above.
- IOL App for Android
- IOL for Android works on Android device supporting version 4 or higher
- For Apple users – Newsstand?
- This is not an Apple Newsstand app, as it contains multiple publications. The app itself is a type of newsstand currently limited to only Independent Newspaper titles.
What is iOS 7 and how do I know whether my iPad has the correct version?
iOS 7 is the operating system or ‘engine’ that runs Apple’s mobile and tablet devices. You can find out whether you are on the latest version of this operating system by going to ‘Settings’ on your iPad, then ‘General’, then ‘About’ and checking under ‘Version’ – if this is 7.0 or above then you are on the correct version and My.Independent app will appear in Newsstand.
How do I upgrade to the correct iOS version?
When you connect your iPad to a Mac or PC and open up iTunes, you will be notified with a pop up when there is an update available to download. Click on ‘Download and Update’, accept the terms and conditions and your update will start automatically – this usually takes about 10 minutes. If a pop does not appear automatically, follow these steps
- Open up iTunes on your computer and plug your iPad into it using the USB cable that came with it
- Select your device when it appears in iTunes under ‘Devices’
- Click on ‘Check for Update’ in the ‘Summary panel’ to check for available updates
- If an update is available, iTunes will prompt you to ‘Download and Update’ your software.
- This may take around 10 minutes, depending on the speed of your computer, so make sure you keep your device connected until the update has finished.
Will I still be able to access the app if I don’t have a Wi-Fi connection?
If you do not have a Wi-Fi connection the app will not download automatically, however you can still download each edition manually over a 3G connection. You won’t be able to download content that you haven’t downloaded previously, but you can read your titles where the content was already downloaded.
What are the main features of the IOL mobile apps?
Available on iPads, Android Tablets, iPhones and Android Handsets, IOL App is a quick way of accessing the day’s top stories on the go. You can share articles, watch video and stay in touch with the world’s news at the touch of a button.
How do I access the digital titles once I have installed the app?
Once you have purchased your subscription, you can download the titles in a few simple steps. Each edition is around 2Mb and dependent on a connection for download. Once downloaded you can read content in an offline state.
How many editions are available for viewing?
A week’s worth of editions are kept for each daily title (Monday – Friday). You select them from the Edition drop down on the title front page. You can download older editions, to catch up on some articles even if it’s not today’s edition. The Weekly (Saturday & Sunday and once-a-week titles) – date even further back and are viewed by selecting the your date of choice from the Edition drop down of weekly title front page.
What are some simple checks I can do before I contact someone?
- I am an Android user: A good place to start, if your app is acting funny is go to the Settings Menu on your device, select Apps and then scroll down till you find IOL. Tap on the Clear Cache and Force Close buttons. Go back to your home screen and tap on the IOL icon to restart and hopefully all should be well. It should display the IOL help screens and work as expected. From time to time there may be an update available, in which case go to Google Play Store
- I am an iPad/iPhone user: Hard close the app, by double clicking the home button while you are using the app and then find it on the carousel of open apps and swipe upwards to close it. It should disappear if successfully closed. Tap on the home button again and from your home screen – find and tap on the IOL icon as usual to start the app. If that doesn’t fix the problem, it never hurts to try and restart your device completely: so power down and once it’s off – restart it and try again.